Swiss website Le Matin.ch reported Stefan Edberg’s and Severin Luthi’s impressions after the US Open final that their protégé Roger Federer lost in four sets to Novak Djokovic.
In spite of two losses in as many straight Major finals over the last two months against the Serb, the team remains confident on the Swiss’ chances to add an 18th title to his Grand Slam record.
«The final was decided by two points,» said Stefan Edberg indicating the 147 points won by Djokovic in the end against Federer’s 145. «But Roger played his best tennis for a very long time, he will not give up and this will end up paying,» added the Swede.
«Until the end, he was closer to Djokovic here than he was at Wimbledon and this is really positive," insists his coach Severin Lüthi, whose biggest regret is "the first set missed" by Federer. "He didn’t start the match well, perhaps because of the significantly cooler conditions,» he says.
«I'm obviously disappointed, it's never nice to lose two finals in a row. I really had the impression to have the victory in my hands, at least victory chances, " Federer summed up during the media conference, adding he hopes to «end the season pretty well».
- London Finals, night of awards for Federer and Edberg
- Federer celebrates 11th Sportsmanship Award with... Edberg
- What if Roger had chosen Edberg before...
- Edberg: Federer is aging like fine wine
- Can a mental coach help Roger Federer evolve his game further?
- Edberg: Roger's sneaky attack a surprise for me as well
- Edberg on Federer: "You still cannot count him out"
- Federer-Djokovic, preview of the US Open final
- Roger Federer at 15-Love
- Edberg tells about his influence on the SABR