from Tennis World Usa.org
Tennis legends Martina Navratilova and Stefan Edberg will be part of the 20th anniversary celebrations of the Gerry Weber Open in Halle in June 2012. Navratilova is stepping in for German legend Steffi Graf who will not play the exhibition event which she was supposed to.
The duo will join Andrea Petkovic, current world no. 10, and former Wimbledon champion Michael Stich for a mixed doubles match to kick off the Gerry Weber Open in Halle next June.
The now 55-year-old Navratilova retired just five years back from the professional sports and is now in the next year her debut in the Champions Trophy on 10 June (Sunday) 2012 in advance of the GERRY WEBER OPEN 2012 in Osnabruck.
"Worldwide, there are few athletes who advanced during their active careers of legends," said tournament director Ralf Weber, "and such an athlete is Martina Navratilova. I am pleased to welcome this international star with us. "For seven years, play and entertain former tennis greats on the lawn of the GERRY WEBER STADIUM and inspire people who are always the crowds around the Centre Court" The Champions Trophy is one of the most popular events in the program of the Gerry Weber Open, and we run through this for some time as a mixed sporting duels, "says Weber," and the charm of such matches do it from the pairings of tennis stars from the past with emerging German players. "
"We take this into account," says Ralf Weber, "and so leaves the two Wimbledon champion Martina Navratilova and Michael Stich to play together. They have to compete against Andrea Petkovic and the Swedish tennis legend Stefan Edberg.
- Edberg and Navratilova test the 2018 Wimbledon courts
- Edberg among Wimbledon "Chairman's Special Guests"
- Navratilova vs Courier on why Federer lost
- Tennis' version of Santas and superstars
- Ball boy Federer receives medal after Edberg vs Stich final
- Tennis Classics will be held in St. Wendel
- Champions tennis is real tennis
- Edberg on the Court? Time Out of Mind
- The match nobody expected...
- Zurich Open: Edberg and Cash will be there
- Edberg to play in Halle next June
- Tennis Classics postponed to 11 March
- Rich Hong Kong can't find money for its annual exho
- Ivanisevic back to winning ways against Stefan
- Edberg-Ivanisevic, flashes from the past