by Mauro Cappiello
Stefan Edberg will play his "junior-champion mixed" doubles tournament in Zurich teaming up Filip Bergevi, a 17 year old boy coming from Sweden. As their tournament starts today with a quarter final match against Henri Leconte and Julien Cagnina, let's learn something on Stefan's partner. Bergevi was born in Åhus on April 20th, 1994 and was brought into tennis by his uncle Pontus. He started playing at the age of 6 and, already as an 11 year old kid, he was known as one of the most promising juniors in Sweden, a status that he confirmed lately this season climbing the ITF junior ranking until his personal best of number 34. Last year in this period he wasn't even in the top 800.
The big boost came from a three week tour in Venezuela, where Filip won 13 matches, losing just one. There also came his biggest win so far, the "Copa Gatorade", an ITF Grade-1 tournament for under 18 players played last January, that Bergevi won losing just a set in five matches and beating Christian Garin from Chile in the final. He also won the doubles tournament there, with Jeroen Vanneste. Bergevi likes a lot playing doubles, because, he says, it improves his aggressiveness and his net game.
According to his coach Ulf Samuelsson, Filip is extremely ambitious and has the quality of playing at his best on the big points. The young Swede plays a two-handed backhand and has the target of entering the top-10 juniors within the end of the year.
One of Filip's best friends since his very early years in tennis is Nicolas Günthard, son of former Swiss Davis Cup player Heinz Günthardt.
Below, some pictures of the youg Swede, dating back to January's "Copa Gatorade"
- Edberg and Federer pictured in Zurich
- No Zurich Open in 2013
- «He's one of the smartest players I have seen»
- Such a bad luck, Stefan... Again!
- Edberg continues winning run
- Myskina replaces Petkovic in Halle Champions Trophy
- World class in Manavgat, the Wilson Senior Open
- Tennis show from Edberg
- Stefan Edberg at the Wilson Senior Open
- Edberg Stuns Philippoussis
- Edberg rolls back the years to defeat Henman
- Borg Inspires McEnroe To Final
- BNP Paribas Zurich Open - Schedule of play
- Ivanisevic Thrashes Edberg In 'Best Ever Match'
- The gang from Växjö on a roll at Kings of Tennis