from La Gazzetta dello Sport
translated into English by Mauro Cappiello
Today's Gazzetta dello Sport (Italian main daily sports paper) dedicates a short article to Stefan's last match at the Rome Masters.
(lu.mar.) On May 17 1996, the crowd at Foro Italico greets with particular emotion Stefan Edberg's last appearance in Rome. He is defeated in the quarter finals 6-3 6-3 by future Wimbledon champion Richard Krajicek. Edberg greets the 10.000 people bowing and stopping at the four corners of the court, and the crowd pays a very special tribute to the Swede. "To receive such a reaction in a foreign country is something amazing and extraordinary. I was expecting the applause, certainly not all this gratitude. When I was about to leave the court, I felt a strong shudder, I touched my arm and I had goose bumps". It is the farewell to Rome by one of the most admired champions of the '80s and '90s.
- The 1996 US Open draw controversy
- Federer: farewell tour an ordeal for Stefan Edberg
- Federer's bad luck reminds of Edberg's 1996 DC final
- Roger Federer about Stefan Edberg in press conference
- Edberg in Rome with Federer!
- Södra Climate Arena: all the details
- The Växjö tennis hall is open!
- STE...fans, your life has just begun!
- Edberg and Becker together again!
- The Top 10 Wimbledon Matches
- Special - Stefan's and Annette's anniversary
- Happy Birthday, Stefan!!!
- Revolutionary new tennis centre taking shape
- Federer gets past Edberg in singles wins
- STE...fans backs Qureshi for Sportsmanship Award