from ATP Champions Tour.com
by Catherine Whitaker
Swedish Legends Stefan Edberg and Mats Wilander have predicted a week of high quality tennis as they spoke to the Swedish media on the eve of the 2013 edition of the Kings of Tennis by Index International in Stockholm, Sweden.
Edberg is drawn in the all-Swedish Group B alongside Mikael Pernfors and last year's Kings of Tennis runner-up Magnus Larsson for the event which will take place at the Stockholm Waterfront Congress Centre from March 12-15. Edberg is hoping to improve on his 2012 Stockholm performance where he failed to progress beyond the group stages, and he has had the perfect practice partner to help him prepare.
'I've tried to prepare for Kings of Tennis by playing with Magnus Larsson on a regular basis,' he said. 'We always play close matches. My game is pretty steady but his has some ups and downs. Then again, he has a few lethal weapons up his sleeve too. Our match this week should be great.'
Group B will see Former World Number One Wilander pitted against defending Kings of Tennis Champion John McEnroe as well as Henri Leconte, who was announced yesterday as a late replacement for injured Jimmy Connors.
'Everyone here this week is in great shape, we should have some top quality tennis for the crowds here in Stockholm,' said Wilander on Monday. 'My matches are tough, but I always love to play against both John and Henri.'
Wilander will open his Stockholm account on Tuesday against Leconte, a match that will be a replay of the 1988 French Open final, which was won by the Swede in straight sets.
'Perhaps the match on Tuesday will be revenge for me,' said Leconte. 'Mats was too good back then but who knows this week. Maybe I can be the one to stop John from defending his title too!'
- Book on history of Swedish tennis available in English
- Legends shine in Båstad
- Edberg: "Swedish tennis is still behind"
- The verdict on the future of our tennis: total darkness
- Sweden, knock if you are there
- Edberg beats McEnroe in thrilling Stockholm final
- Stefan Edberg wins Kings of Tennis 2013
- McEnroe vs Edberg in Stockholm final
- A Twitter chat with Stefan Edberg
- Edberg & Wilander win opener
- Leconte replaces injured Connors in Stockholm
- Kings of Tennis, Edberg in an all-Swedish group
- Wilander is the fourth 'King of Tennis'
- No Zurich Open in 2013
- McEnroe, Edberg and Connors at Kings of Tennis 2013