by Marc Ribolla
Tennis legends Stefan Edberg and Goran Ivanisevic talk about their life after retirement
Roger Federer's (31) great career will end in the years to come. How long the 17-time Grand Slam winner will play is still to be seen. But for a father, Federer says: There comes a time after Wimbledon or the U.S. Open.
And so also for Roger one day the question will be: what comes after that? Former top stars like Stefan Edberg (Sweden, 47) and Goran Ivanisevic (Croatia, 41) are doing great. Like Federer, they are also family men, they have two children each, aged between 5 and 19.
For Edberg (6 times Grand Slam winner) and Ivanisevic (Wimbledon champion in 2001) tennis is no longer in the foreground, yet they still meet regularly on the court - either on the ATP Champions Tour or in show matches. As this week in Stuttgart.
«I'm still having fun playing. But it's not my job. I don't miss competition,» says Edberg, who retired 17 years ago. Today he leads an asset management company. «My days are now more busy than they were on the tour,» says Edberg. In the spare time he hits regularly with compatriot Magnus Larsson (43).
In contrast, a more casual Ivanisevic enjoys his "retirement". With a grin, he says: «I don't do very much. I take care of my children, they go to school or leisure activities. I played 17 years on the tour, then I got tired».
Nine years after retiring, Goran Ivanisevic still holds a record on the ATP Tour. His 1449 aces from 1996 are undefeated. The former "Lord of the Aces" even says: «I serve even better today. Racquets are longer and strings are better!»
By the way, in Stuttgart Stefan Edberg won the battle against Ivanisevic 6:3, 3:6, 10:4.
- Stefan Edberg & Tony Pickard Mr Class and his teacher
- "Federer should skip the claycourt season," says former coach Edberg
- "Federer is exceptional, but tennis needs a new name too"
- "I am a happy person"
- Federer criticizes young players: "I wish they volleyed more"
- Edberg to play Royal Albert Hall Masters in London
- Stefan Edberg at the 2013 Necker Cup
- Superstars from different generations
- Legends Doubles features greatest field on Swedish soil
- Båstad spiced up with legends
- A superstar and two legends
- Oldies but goldies
- «Goran's serve? It's even harder today...»
- Senior show match
- Ask Stefan your question!