from Gerry Weber Open Magazine
translated into English by Mauro Cappiello
Pure Tennis nostalgia. For years they have inspired the masses and on June 10th four former world class players will meet at the Gerry Weber Stadium in a star-studded mixed duel.
It will be a meeting of sports legends, who stand as the best tennis players of all time: for two decades Martina Navratilova dominated the stage and coined the term "women's tennis". The native Czech retired only five years ago from professional sports and is now back for her debut in the Champions Trophy at Michael Stich's side.
Germany's former tennis star won Wimbledon in 1991 and three years later was the first German winner of the Gerry Weber Open.
On the other side of the net there is someone whose spectacular and elegant serve and volley game was legendary. Stefan Edberg clinched six Grand Siam triumphs and was the world number one for 72 weeks. The former international star rarely appears in Germany, so his participation is even more remarkable.
He his joined by Anastasia Myskina from Russia. The 30-year-old from Moskow was among the absolute world leaders eight years ago and reached the second place as her highest WTA world ranking. She obtained her greatest success in 2004 with the title at the French Open, and in her career, she celebrated ten WTA singles victories and five doubles titles.
- Edberg and Navratilova test the 2018 Wimbledon courts
- Edberg among Wimbledon "Chairman's Special Guests"
- Navratilova vs Courier on why Federer lost
- Tennis' version of Santas and superstars
- Ball boy Federer receives medal after Edberg vs Stich final
- Kings of Tennis 2013
- Champions once, champions forever
- The champions are still on fire
- The show of the legends
- Halle 2012 - Where my dream came true
- Superstars inaugurated KTK's new grass courts
- In Halle, waiting for THE DAY
- Stefan Edberg to return to Grand Cayman
- Myskina replaces Petkovic in Halle Champions Trophy