With these short Facebook post and press release on his website, Roger Federer announced the official start of his technical partnership with Stefan Edberg.
I am happy to announce that beginning in Melbourne, Stefan Edberg will join Severin Lüthi on my coaching team. Severin, who has been part of my team for the last 7 years, will do most of the weeks and Stefan has agreed to work with us for at least 10 weeks starting at the Australian Open in Melbourne. Stefan was my childhood hero, and I am really looking forward to spending time and learning from him.
"I'm really excited to be part of Roger's team and I hope together we can bring out his best tennis," Stefan Edberg commented.
Severin Lüthi added: "Roger will play a full schedule next year so we both wanted to make sure we had a solid team in place. I want to continue to improve and innovate Roger's game and I really look forward to be working with Stefan. Like Roger, I have a tremendous amount of respect for Stefan and I am sure he will bring a lot to our team as Roger continues to chase titles in 2014."
Yesterday, Roger had talked about his impressions on Stefan Edberg from the training camp they had together in Dubai in this interview with the Swiss website Basler Zeitung. Read the English translation.
- Stefan Edberg & Tony Pickard Mr Class and his teacher
- "Federer should skip the claycourt season," says former coach Edberg
- "Federer is exceptional, but tennis needs a new name too"
- "I am a happy person"
- Federer criticizes young players: "I wish they volleyed more"
- «A source of inspiration»
- Roger Federer looks for new angles with Stefan Edberg
- Federer and the "certified pre-owned"
- And now, Federer-Edberg!
- Another shocking pair for 2014. Federer hires Edberg
- Federer: «I will never be able to volley like Stefan Edberg»
- Courier: Becker and Edberg fresh air for Nole and Roger
- You have got to be kidding me?
- Djokovic-Becker, Federer-Edberg… Will They Work?
- Becker, Edberg and Lendl. The challenge never ends