by Franck Ramella
translated into English by Mauro Cappiello
It was a mess on court 17, reserved for training. Lot because Federer was there with Pierre-Hugues Herbert as a partner. And a little more because the Swiss officially came out for the first time with his special adviser Stefan Edberg, who arrived in the morning in Melbourne. A few hours later, the quiet Swede was already plunging into the hive.
- Stefan Edberg, did you expect to be back on the Tour like this?
«I'm lost here! I came back this morning, and many things have changed since the last time I was here in 1996. I do not really recognize any of the stadiums. But I'm glad to be here. It was a real surprise when I received a call from Roger to offer him help. Obviously, I was away from the tennis world. But Federer is someone so special that I could not refuse. It's still weird because I had a very quiet life. All was quiet. But it's such an opportunity to be around Federer. We need to keep him on the Tour as long as possible because he is so important for this sport... As long as he is healthy, motivated, he has the potential to do great things. The road will be hard. But if he can win a Grand Slam title this year it would be good.»
- Is it a pressure for you to know that it will make a difference?
«I see it more as an opportunity. There are always little things to work on. I really think I can make a small difference and a small difference can sometimes change everything».
- Will it be a court-side match with Boris Becker?
«We'll see what happens. On the court, I have my chance against Boris (laughs). In any case, all this creates interest, obviously. Lendl did a good job with Murray, and it may have created something. And here we are, all of us!»
- Stefan Edberg & Tony Pickard Mr Class and his teacher
- "Federer should skip the claycourt season," says former coach Edberg
- "Federer is exceptional, but tennis needs a new name too"
- "I am a happy person"
- Federer criticizes young players: "I wish they volleyed more"
- «He needs to vary his game more»
- «I can help Roger Federer»
- Tony Pickard: Edberg fascinated by Federer job
- Edberg phoned a friend when Federer called
- Federer and Edberg make dream team debut
- Federer has at least one more major in him, says Edberg
- Murray: Becker & Edberg make locker room "interesting"
- Edberg to join Federer at Melbourne
- Stefan Edberg can have a great effect on Federer's game
- Dream Final: Edberg vs Becker