by Andreas Käck
translated into English by Mauro Cappiello
Edberg fell in the final, but was hailed by the winner in his acceptance speech. Thomas Enqvist, 40, is the King of Tennis, 2014. After his victory, 6-2, 6-3, he praised his opponent, Stefan Edberg, 48. - It's incredible to have you here, said Enqvist.
Henri Leconte, Marcelo Rios, Carlos Moya, Mats Wilander, Stefan Edberg and Thomas Enqivst. The legends gathered in Stockholm for the 2014 edition of the "Kings of Tennis" and it was the "home player" Enqvist who impressed the most.
In Friday's final against Edberg there was no doubt: the 40-year-old dominated all through the match and only conceeded five games.
Son of success
Afterwards, he revealed the secret of his success: his son Tim, 7.
- He coached me the all week. He used to say, "Dad, why don't you run on the balls?". I answered: "Because I can not reach them." Then he just said: "Yes, but you can not know unless you run."
Enqvist, who has been part of the organization of the competition for the past two years, however, dedicated most of his victory speech to thank Stefan Edberg.
- The fact that we can have Stefan and Mats (Wilander) here, after all they have done for Swedish tennis, is incredible. Thank you for being here, said Enqvist.
Edberg, who recently hit with a certain Roger Federer (his current "pupil"), admitted the defeat and also praised Enqvist.
- He went a little too fast today. He played fantastically well, so there was not much I could do. I tried to mix up the game but it was not enough. He (Enqvist) deserved to win, said Edberg.
- Edberg: "Swedish tennis is still behind"
- The verdict on the future of our tennis: total darkness
- Win the chance to meet Stefan Edberg at the Kings of Tennis
- Kings of Tennis, another year without Stefan Edberg
- Hard work and team spirit, the secrets of Swedish coaches
- Stefan Edberg at the 2016 Necker Cup
- Uncertain future for the Kings of Tennis
- Enqvist overhauls Edberg, he is the King of Stockholm
- Edberg defeated Wilander: "He learned from Federer"
- Clinical Edberg sets up Enqvist final
- "My serve? It's probably up in the bar with a beer..."
- Inspired Edberg begins Stockholm title defence in style
- All is set for the Kings of Tennis