Roger Federer spoke again about his partnership with Stefan Edberg in an interview with Johannes Kapitza of Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung.
«We have talked long to each other before the US Open and, as I split up with Paul Annacone, I thought: "Who now? Maybe I can call Edberg..." But first, I had to find out his number. He has thought about that a lot, because for him it was probably a shock. And then he accepted, to my surprise. This has extremely pleased me, because he has always been an inspiration and an idol for me.»
About the time they spend together, Federer said: «I talk too much because I want to give him a lot of information, but I can also listen very well. And I want him to talk a lot, too. He should say what he thinks of me. If I'm sitting in front of him, it seems not real. This will always be so, because I still know him from the TV: when I was a little boy, I have seen him in the Wimbledon finals. And suddenly, I can sit there with him and drink a coffee, and he asks me things, and I'm allowed to ask what I want. That's almost unreal.»
«If he has nothing to say at the end about tennis and just sits with me at the same table and we talk , already opens the alone my horizons. Mostly we talk about tennis, but we sit there and talk about God and the world. This is very pleasant with him.»
When asked if he wants to be a coach like Edberg, once he quits, Federer replied he still has got no clear plan for his future after tennis. «Who knows... If I can inspire young players and give them advice, I'll do it. I would like to remain in the world of tennis, but in what form I still don't know.» (m.c.)
- Stefan Edberg & Tony Pickard Mr Class and his teacher
- "Federer should skip the claycourt season," says former coach Edberg
- "Federer is exceptional, but tennis needs a new name too"
- "I am a happy person"
- Federer criticizes young players: "I wish they volleyed more"
- Edberg: «Federer needs to use his weapons»
- Federer and Edberg seen through Google Glass
- Roger Federer about Stefan Edberg in press conference
- Edberg in Rome with Federer!
- «Stefan, you could train Roger Federer...»
- Wilander: «Roger, can you please stop helping Edberg?»
- Federer: "People overestimate Edberg's influence"
- When a number one...
- Roger Federer Revival Top Reasons
- Federer satisfied with Edberg advise