by Mauro Cappiello
Last week-end, Stefan Edberg spent a couple of days at Algarve, one of the most touristic regions in Portugal, home of the Cascade Sports Academy where he is still the director of the tennis section.
His son Christopher played in the third edition of the Summer Night Tournament at the Portimão Tennis Club in the Under-18 category.
Christopher won the singles trophy in a three set final against local player Miguel Marreiros 6-3, 2-6, 6-3. The evening before, teaming with Alexandre Chaves, he had lost the doubles final to Ricardo and Miguel Marreiros.
According to the website of Portimão Tennis Club, Stefan made the delights of all the young players, taking part in the trophy presentations. So Christopher received his cup... from his father's hands!
We want to thank the staff at Portimão Tennis Club for sending the pictures below (by the way, Christopher is the blond guy).
The doubles draw
The singles draw
- Swedish Golden Age - Stefan Edberg
- Tennis' version of Santas and superstars
- Henman: "Federer's volley improved with Edberg"
- Swedish Golden Age - Mats Wilander
- Edberg's sweet revenge - by Alessio Morra
- "Edberg 86" reissued. Vote your favourite model!
- US Open, Stefan Edberg's 8 memorable matches
- Exclusive gallery of the Rogers Cup HoF induction
- Stefan Edberg enters the Rogers Cup Hall of Fame
- Stefan Edberg, Don Goodwin into Rogers Cup HoF
- STE...fans grows up, becomes teen-ager!
- Post-Borg era, Swedish tennis influence is off the court
- Christopher Edberg wins before father's eyes
- ATP World Tour Uncovered on Edberg and Wilander
- Växjö becomes the first tennis university in Sweden