from Davis Cup.com
When a four-time Davis Cup by BNP Paribas champion talks about a competition that he believes could be good for your tennis, you listen. That’s what Roger Federer did anyway.
The Swiss superstar has won almost everything there is to win in tennis but one of the very few pieces of silverware to elude him is the historic Davis Cup.
This year, with Federer and Stan Wawrinka both occupying spots among the world’s elite, many onlookers believe that Switzerland could win the Davis Cup for the first time in its history.
And one of those is Federer’s famous coach Stefan Edberg.
“They have a chance to win it this year with Stan and Roger together, so it's a great opportunity,” explained Edberg, who lifted the Davis Cup trophy in 1984, 1985, 1987 and 1994.
“I think it's been good for his tennis. It's been good for a lot of things, and it's always great to have the best players playing in Davis Cup. If Davis Cup is going to grow and be there for the future, you need the best to play and enjoy playing, and I think they both have enjoyed it. I know they definitely want to win it.”
Edberg knows the impact that playing Davis Cup had on his own career and recalls fondly winning the title in his debut year in 1984 when he and Anders Jarryd defeated Peter Fleming and John McEnroe to clinch the victory for Sweden.
The Swede added: “To us Davis Cup has been a lot of importance. Obviously maybe things are a little bit different today, but I have been all for it for him [Federer] to play Davis Cup, because it's a great competition. You're being part of a team.”
- Stefan Edberg & Tony Pickard Mr Class and his teacher
- "Federer should skip the claycourt season," says former coach Edberg
- "Federer is exceptional, but tennis needs a new name too"
- "I am a happy person"
- Federer criticizes young players: "I wish they volleyed more"
- Federer loses final to Tsonga but makes Edberg proud
- 15 HD screenshots from Federer vs Cilic
- Federer misses easy match point, Edberg not too happy...
- "Roger Federer can win the Davis Cup"
- Rogers Cup HoF - Edberg's speech, Federer's message
- Toronto media conference with Stefan Edberg
- Rogers Cup, Edberg & Federer answer fans' questions
- Early images of Toronto practice
- Edberg: My backhand was better than Federer’s
- Wilander vs McEnroe: opposite views on Federer's future