To celebrate Stefan Edberg's return on the Tour as Roger Federer's coach, this summer, Adidas launched a reissue of the "Adidas Edberg 86", the legendary sneakers that stand at number 25 of the all-time list of tennis shoes built up by the sports, culture and lifestyle website Complex.com.
The sportswear company that has been Stefan's sponsor since 1985 made available in stores a new triple version of the sneakers that were connected to the Swede's first personalized outfit, the one he wore during his successful 1987 Australian Open campaign.
Strawberries and Cream version
Thanks to a collaboration between London's store Foot Patrol and Adidas Original, the first model to come out was the "Strawberries and Cream" version, that took inspiration from the traditional dessert served at Wimbledon and, in fact, was launched in London on June 28th during the 2014 edition of the Championships. These sneakers feature a strawberry red dominant colour that makes a nice contrast with the cream white of the outsole and the Adidas three stripes. Purchase»
The "Strawberries and Cream" version was available worldwide on July 19th. Only a little later, the two other variants came out in stores on August 1st.
The OG model is an updated version of the classic shoes Stefan played with almost thirty years ago. While you can still find rare pairs of the first model in auctions on eBay, the new release offers a more fresh look, reproposing a dominant white but making a lighter and more vivid combination of green and yellow on the three stripes. But, sadly, for easily understandable branding reasons, the legendary SE logo has disappeared, replaced by the vintage Adidas trefoil. Purchase»
The Wimbledon version, instead, associates the prominent colours of the Championships in a blend of purple, green and white. The upper side is in Night Sky tone, created by a combination of smooth leather and suede leather materials. The green is only visible in the brand label, while the outsole is in a double tone of white and refined with a eyelet. Purchase»
- Edberg and Navratilova test the 2018 Wimbledon courts
- Federer criticizes young players: "I wish they volleyed more"
- Edberg to BBC: "Federer is the greatest in my eyes"
- Edberg: "No one thought Federer and Nadal would be here today"
- Stefan in Federer's box at Wimbledon
- Basel, where Stefan was the king
- Stefan Edberg under X-rays, with "La Gazzetta"
- Create our Stefan Edberg Facebook page new cover!
- Stefan Edberg to present Australian Open trophy
- When Sweden ruled the tennis world...
- US Open, Stefan Edberg's 8 memorable matches
- Exclusive gallery of the Rogers Cup HoF induction
- Stefan Edberg enters the Rogers Cup Hall of Fame
- Stefan Edberg, Don Goodwin into Rogers Cup HoF
- Stefan Edberg presents a very special trophy...