by Mauro Cappiello
Beating world number 1 Novak Djokovic in the final, Roger Federer has just won his 7th Dubai Duty Free Championships title, the 84th tournament in his career. It is also the 7th ATP event Roger wins since the start of his agreement with Stefan Edberg.
Without ever dropping his serve, the Swiss took the match in straight sets 6-3, 7-5, converting both his opportunities on Novak's serve, one in each set.
Most of all, he saved all the seven break points his opponent had, serving majestically, especially in the second set, when Djokovic put enormous pressure to get back in the final.
Right when a third set looked inevitable, Federer canceled two set points on 4-5 and then took the decisive break on 5-5 with an amazing crosscourt forehand from the baseline that completed a comeback from 0-40 in the eleventh game.
"I'm so unbelievably young and people keep telling me how old I am! I'm very happy to be playing so well," said Federer in the trophy ceremony.
Watch the highlights of the match below...
... and Federer's post-match interview by the ATP.
- Stefan Edberg & Tony Pickard Mr Class and his teacher
- "Federer should skip the claycourt season," says former coach Edberg
- "Federer is exceptional, but tennis needs a new name too"
- "I am a happy person"
- Federer criticizes young players: "I wish they volleyed more"
- Stefan Edberg back to Monte Carlo
- Edberg and Federer pictured in Zurich
- Federer explains why he wasn't joined by Edberg in IW
- Federer at 33: “My goal was always to play for long time”
- Rusedski: 3 reasons why Federer is the GOAT
- "No Becker-effect for Djokovic," Murray says
- "Federer needs to play more aggressively"
- Navratilova vs Courier on why Federer lost
- HD pictures and video from Fedberg's last hitting
- "A brilliant third set against Bolelli"