Asked by Sky Sports Uk, Boris Becker frankly showed he didn't appreciate Roger Federer's sneaky attack, the half-volley return the media have talked so much about during the North American summer swing.
"My generation would have hit him on first serve. If he would have played McEnroe, Lendl or Connors or even me, we would have said, Roger, in all honesty, I like you very much, one more time, I go straight at you. In my generation, guys wouldn’t have accepted as it is now. For sure."
UPDATE! (27.09.2015) Look at Boris Becker being swept away by John McEnroe's stormy net approaches against his serve in the third round of the 1992 Australian Open, where the German was defending champion. It was one of the last big displays from Big Mac and those attacks on returns can be considered a foretype of Federer's SABR. This compilation was assembled by Youtube user Wibo Plijnaar.
UPDATE! (11.09.2015) Sky Sports has made available an excerpt of the tv show with Boris Becker and Greg Rusedski in which the German criticizes Federer's attacking strategy on his opponent's serve. Also interesting to see a former offensive player like Greg Rusedski support Becker's view.Watch the video here»
Becker, on Sky, on Roger's charge and charge: "My generation, you would have hit him already in the first match" with the serve. "If he ...— Ravi Ubha (@raviubha) September 5, 2015
would played a McEnroe, Lendl or Connors or even me, we would have said, Roger, in all honesty, I like you very much, one more time, I go ..— Ravi Ubha (@raviubha) September 5, 2015
straight at you. In my generation, guys wouldn’t have accepted as it is now. For sure.”— Ravi Ubha (@raviubha) September 5, 2015
- Stefan Edberg & Tony Pickard Mr Class and his teacher
- "Federer should skip the claycourt season," says former coach Edberg
- "Federer is exceptional, but tennis needs a new name too"
- "I am a happy person"
- Federer criticizes young players: "I wish they volleyed more"
- Edberg on Federer: "You still cannot count him out"
- Federer-Djokovic, preview of the US Open final
- Roger Federer at 15-Love
- Edberg tells about his influence on the SABR
- Federer: I don't see myself as a super coach
- Roger Federer’s new shot is the talk of the town
- U.S. Open: Flawless Federer through
- Edberg and Federer already together in New York
- Cincinnati, Twitter users pay homage to Fedberg duo
- Federer's words of praise for Edberg after Cincinnati title