The American thinks that the choice of Ivan Ljubicic can be framed into Roger's target of beating Novak Djokovic in the big matches, something that he has failed doing in the Stefan Edberg era.
«Ths just shows how Federer, beyond having an amazing year at 34, is still trying to do better. He is not satisfied with being number three in the world and winning 11 titles. He didn't win a Major, I think he still thinks that he can," said Gilbert in a phone conversation with Adrianne Lawrence during the Espn sports news.
The Croat should help the 17-time Major winner with new and fresh ideas. «Ljubicic is a little younger than Stefan, lives in Monte Carlo and is a little closer to today's players. Roger must think he can bring something to the table, strategy-wise, to beat Novak».
Gilbert had praised the Fedberg duo in the past, saying that Edberg's approach had been a "new beginning" for Federer.
The entire interview in the video below. (mc)
- Stefan Edberg & Tony Pickard Mr Class and his teacher
- "Federer should skip the claycourt season," says former coach Edberg
- "Federer is exceptional, but tennis needs a new name too"
- "I am a happy person"
- Federer criticizes young players: "I wish they volleyed more"
- Federer about Edberg and Ljubicic at "Game, Set and Mats"
- Federer: no specific work on defense after Edberg
- Federer: I still miss Stefan Edberg
- Vote your best Fedberg moment
- «Stefan Edberg will still give me feedback»
- Edberg (almost) rules out continuing his coaching career
- From Fedberg to Ljuberer: Thoughts on Federer's coaching shift
- Federer wanted Edberg to stay!
- Who Should Stefan Edberg Coach Next?
- Edberg: never planned to go beyond 2015