Stefan Edberg with Roger Federer at the 2015 Australian Open
Roger Federer is no longer working with Stefan Edberg, but still speaks with great affection of the period with the tennis legend in his team. The Swiss, who advanced to the third round of the Australian Open with a victory in straight sets over Alexandr Dolgopolov, talked about Stefan in the post-match media conference.
"Well, I have gotten used to Ivan Ljubicic now being on the team for the last month or so. It's not that different anymore like it was in the beginning. But it was always special, of course, looking up to the player box and see Stefan there. It's always been kind of surreal to have his support. So we had a very cool experience," said Federer.
Edberg turned 50 on Tuesday and Federer wanted to remark he had a thought for him. "It was his birthday yesterday, I congratulated him for that. I hope that we can talk in coming days. Of course I miss him, it's normal. He was a very important part of the team, the coolest guy in the world. He was a great asset on the team. Nicest guy ever. But now I'm excited to get on with Severin and the rest of the team," added Federer.
- "Federer should skip the claycourt season," says former coach Edberg
- "Federer is exceptional, but tennis needs a new name too"
- Federer criticizes young players: "I wish they volleyed more"
- Edberg to BBC: "Federer is the greatest in my eyes"
- Edberg: "No one thought Federer and Nadal would be here today"
- Federer: Edberg is not coaching me again
- Edberg rejoins Federer at Wimbledon
- Federer: "I had a more global relationship with Edberg"
- Federer about Edberg and Ljubicic at "Game, Set and Mats"
- Federer: no specific work on defense after Edberg
- Vote your best Fedberg moment
- «Stefan Edberg will still give me feedback»
- Gilbert: N.3 and 11 titles not enough for Federer
- Edberg (almost) rules out continuing his coaching career
- From Fedberg to Ljuberer: Thoughts on Federer's coaching shift