from Sun Sentinel
by Sharon Robb
BOCA RATON — Stefan Edberg grinned sheepishly when he realized he didn`t know the first name of his opponent in Wednesday`s quarterfinals of the Lipton International Players Championships at Boca West.
"How do you think Milan played?" Edberg was asked during his postmatch press conference.
"Who?" Edberg asked.
"Milan Srejber of Czechoslovakia. The guy you just beat 6-1, 6-0, 6-2 on the grandstand court."
"You mean Srejber?" Edberg asked. "Oh, I`m sorry, I didn`t know his first name. It is the first time I have played him."
If Srejber has his way, it will be the last time he has to meet the young Swede, who now stands with Boris Becker as the hottest young players in the game.
"I could do nothing today," Srejber said. "I played so bad. I have never played against him. I couldn`t move, I couldn`t serve."
The winner of a Grand Slam singles title (the Australian Open) and the hero of Sweden`s championship Davis Cup team, Edberg, at 20, is now emerging from the shadow of countrymen Mats Wilander, Anders Jarryd, Joakim Nystrom and Henrik Sundstrom.
His ranking has steadily risen to No. 5. Last year he began to fulfill some of the promise he had shown the two previous years. He was the only tennis player with a winning record against Ivan Lendl, beating the world`s No. 1- ranked player two out of three times. His most significant win over Srejber`s fellow countryman came in the semifinals of the Australian Open.
"Last year I tried to be more positive in my game," Edberg said. "I`ve been a lot more consistent and I didn`t have as many bad losses. I`m stronger mentally. I didn`t have as many ups and downs as before."
- Beginning of the End for Edberg
- This time Edberg doesn't pair
- In a sea of grass Cash, Cash, Cash...
- Is Cash enough for the Davis?
- The black god rebels
- "Becker puts a little more pressure than the others"
- Stefan Edberg wins the Swiss Tennis Open
- Stefan Edberg wins his first claycourt title in Gstaad
- Stefan Edberg: «When I found out I was talented»
- Stefan Edberg: best of the Swedes?
- In Milan a star was born, Edberg
- The rising "star" of Edberg
- Edberg, from Sweden with grandeur
- The rise of Milan
- Cuore Cup 1984