The fifth edition of the Kings of Tennis, the Stockholm stage of the ATP Champions Tour, will take place at the Stockholm Waterfront from March 16th to 18th without Stefan Edberg for the second year in a row.
In spite of ending his partnership with Roger Federer and having more time for himself, Stefan decided to skip the tournament, delaying his return to senior tennis, his last appearance dating back to the final of the Stockholm event against Thomas Enqvist exactly two years ago.
Five legends will take part to this year’s edition, with the highlights of 2012 champion John McEnroe and Mats Wilander. Henri Leconte, Pat Cash and Thomas Muster will complete the field, while Thomas Enqvist will only appear in a doubles exhibition.
The five player format forced the organizers to a program made up of two semifinals, with Pat Cash who’ll wait for the winner of the qualifying match between Muster and Leconte. (mc)
Here’s the full schedule:
Thomas Muster vs Henri Leconte
McEnroe-Wilander vs Enqvist-Cash
John McEnroe vs Mats Wilander
Pat Cash vs winner of Muster-Leconte
Third place match
- Edberg and Järryd defeated in Båstad doubles exhibition
- Legends shine in Båstad
- Edberg: "Swedish tennis is still behind"
- The verdict on the future of our tennis: total darkness
- Book on glory days of Swedish tennis is out in Italy
- Stefan Edberg to end drought from played tennis in Båstad
- Stefan Edberg at the 2016 Necker Cup
- Win the chance to meet Stefan Edberg at the Kings of Tennis
- Uncertain future for the Kings of Tennis
- Enqvist overhauls Edberg, he is the King of Stockholm
- "It's incredible to have you here"
- Edberg defeated Wilander: "He learned from Federer"
- Clinical Edberg sets up Enqvist final