In an interview by Riccardo Crivelli published last April 21st on Italian sports daily La Gazzetta dello Sport, Roger Federer spoke about the differences between his current coach Ivan Ljubicic and Stefan Edberg.
"It's a completely different approach. - said the Swiss - I had a more global relationship with Stefan, as he took care of all the aspects of my preparation. With Ivan there's been a generational change, as he played with many of my current opponents and has got a different mind perspective and a wider knowledge. It's like he is still a tennis player, so to say, and that's what I needed in this moment."
Roger revealed he wasn't surprised at all by Rafael Nadal getting back to a good level and winning the Monte Carlo Masters. In the former world number 1's words, the Spaniard was his best rival. "Some of our matches have become history and he also gave me some of my most painful losses. Being a lefty, he forced me to find different solutions. I think the rivalry with him attracted the fans more (than the one with Djokovic)".
Roger said he has got no immediate plan to quit the game and is looking forward to playing the Olympics. (mc)
Read the entire interview in Italian»
- Stefan Edberg & Tony Pickard Mr Class and his teacher
- "Federer should skip the claycourt season," says former coach Edberg
- "Federer is exceptional, but tennis needs a new name too"
- "I am a happy person"
- Federer criticizes young players: "I wish they volleyed more"
- Federer has no more doubts on his real tennis idol
- When Federer and Edberg talked about retirement from tennis...
- Federer, amazing comeback before Edberg's eyes
- Federer: Edberg is not coaching me again
- Edberg rejoins Federer at Wimbledon
- Federer about Edberg and Ljubicic at "Game, Set and Mats"
- Federer: no specific work on defense after Edberg
- Federer: I still miss Stefan Edberg
- Vote your best Fedberg moment
- «Stefan Edberg will still give me feedback»