After the two finals lost with Stefan Edberg in his corner always against Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer took his long chased 8th Wimbledon title today, beating Marin Cilic in a straight-set final.
Affected by a slight physycal problem since the end of the first set, the Croat could do little to avoid an easy 6-3, 6-1, 6-4 defeat, allowing Federer to become the oldest man win the Championships in the Open Era.
Just as he left the Centre Court after the trophy presentation, Federer met Stefan Edberg who congratulated him whith a strong, deeply felt hug and also had the privilege to hold once again that cup, 27 years after his second triumph at SW19. (mc)
Stefan holding Roger's trophy— Rogiii #18 (@micikeyn) 16 luglio 2017
You REALLY deserved it coach !!! Thank you for EVERYTHING !!!
Stefan Edberg to Roger: "You get a hug for that...I get a trophy? Yeah I get a trophy" ♥️ pic.twitter.com/Kih0z9MJXd— Sofia_RF (@Sofia__RF) 16 luglio 2017
- Federer criticizes young players: "I wish they volleyed more"
- Edberg to BBC: "Federer is the greatest in my eyes"
- Edberg: "No one thought Federer and Nadal would be here today"
- Stefan in Federer's box at Wimbledon
- Edberg: "It was like the script for a movie"
- “If there’s anyone who can do it, it's Roger”
- Federer has no more doubts on his real tennis idol