MASTERS. He beat Wilander: he'll meet Lendl in the semifinal. Becker-Hlasek the other match
NEW YORK. (...) Still running and at what speed, Stefan Edberg who took little longer than an hour to overwhelm Mats Wilander. Edberg surprised not only the experts with a slow start, that prevented Wilander from finding his usual rhythm, his usual regularity.
Forced to attack against his will Mats got even more mixed up and, what's worse, completely lost his shot deepness.
The match seemed to level for a moment at the start of the second set but here, in front of a little less pale Wilander, Edberg was very intelligent in changing tactic and breaking out to the net. The player who had started worst the Masters, with half a disaster against Leconte, was so the first to qualify to the semis.
- Legends shine in Båstad
- Stefan Edberg about his Olympic Games in ITF publication
- Sweden, knock if you are there
- Book on glory days of Swedish tennis is out in Italy
- Swedish tennis in 1988: "Absolutely fantastic"
- Edberg beats Sampras and remains number one
- The seventh time
- When tennis gets unfair
- Edberg Captures The Masters
- Becker-Edberg repeated today
- This crazy tennis
- Madison's gentlemen
- Voices from the Masters: "Edberg go on like this"
- The black god rebels