from Lawn Tennis Association
Tim Henman will take on two-time Wimbledon champion Stefan Edberg at the BlackRock Masters Tennis at London’s Royal Albert Hall on 4 December to raise money for his Kids at Heart Charity.
It will be Henman’s first match since he retired from the professional circuit in glorious fashion in Britain’s Davis Cup victory over Croatia at Wimbledon last month.
Henman and Edberg were scheduled to play each other at the Royal Albert Hall five years ago, but an injured shoulder forced Henman to withdraw.
“I am really looking forward to playing Stefan at the Royal Albert Hall, particularly as it will raise money for a charity that means a lot to me,” said Henman.
“During my last few years on the tennis circuit, there were not many chances to play against serve-and-volley specialists, and Stefan is one of the best of those. I am looking forward to it and I hope the crowd at the BlackRock Masters Tennis will enjoy it.” Edberg, who featured in a memorable trilogy of Wimbledon finals against Boris Becker between 1988 and 1990, winning the title twice, is excited by the prospect of returning to the city that hosted some of his greatest tennis triumphs.
“It will be nice to be the first to play against Tim since he retired, and especially in a venue as beautiful as the Royal Albert Hall,” said Edberg.
“I have a lot of respect for Tim and the career that he had, and I am happy that we can raise money for his charity.
“London is also a very special place for me – the city where I won Wimbledon, where I lived for a few years and have always enjoyed visiting. I played Jonas Bjorkman at the event a few years ago and the Royal Albert Hall was an incredible place to play tennis.”
The match will take place in the evening session on Tuesday 4 December – the first day of the BlackRock Masters Tennis event, which runs until Sunday 9 December.
Henman vs. Edberg will run alongside the main event, which features a 12-man field of some of the greatest tennis champions of all time.
Bjorn Borg, a five-time Wimbledon champion, has already accepted a wild card into the event.
How to book tickets
For tickets call the box office on 0845 401 5003
or visit http://www.theblackrockmasters.com/
- Stefan Edberg previews the Murray vs Djokovic final for BBC
- Edberg: A great idea to promote junior tennis
- Edberg Honoured In London
- London Finals, night of awards for Federer and Edberg
- Federer celebrates 11th Sportsmanship Award with... Edberg
- Programme for Tuesday night exhibition against Henman
- Stefan Edberg returns to play Tim Henman
- Elegant Edberg beat McEnroe
- Edberg beats McEnroe to win 2007 Legends Live
- Legends Live: Edberg meets McEnroe in the final
- Edberg to play Henman in London in December
- Edberg withdrew from match against Larsson
- Edberg and Larsson to meet in Kalmar
- Edberg to play "Legends Live"
- Photos of last year's exhibition in Slovenia