from Canadian Press
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia — Organizers have scrapped a tennis tournament pitting former world No. 1 players from the Americas against their European counterparts, saying Malaysian promoters had not coughed up funds for the event.
The "Kings of Tennis" competition had been scheduled to run in Malaysia's northern resort island of Penang on Nov. 14-16 with a prestigious lineup that included Roy Emerson, John McEnroe, Pete Sampras, Bjorn Borg and Stefan Edberg.
However, tournament producer Lasse Olsson said in an e-mailed statement received Wednesday that the Stockholm-based organizers have "removed the players from participating" and notified the Malaysian promoters that the event was off.
"We simply could not provide the players without payment of promised funds that did not materialize despite a number of ultimatums given" to organizers, the statement said.
The Malaysian event organizing company could not immediately be contacted.
Organizers announced in August that eight tennis legends would compete in singles and doubles matches representing their continents. The other players were to be Marcelo Rios, Ilie Nastase and Mats Wilander, and the tournament would have been broadcast live in more than 40 countries.
- Win the chance to meet Stefan Edberg at the Kings of Tennis
- Kings of Tennis, another year without Stefan Edberg
- Sampras: "Loss to Edberg was my turning point"
- Pat Cash: "The Swedes made my life hard"
- No Kings of Tennis for Edberg
- Edberg And Courier To Renew Rivalry In Dubai Final
- Edberg Wins In Champions Series Debut In Dubai
- Edberg volleys his way through
- Edberg On Outback
- Stefan Edberg wins Legends Live again
- Edberg beats Borg in Legends Live first match
- "Kings of Tennis" event schedule
- Tennis greats to square off in Penang
- Stefan Edberg wins Trophée Lagardère
- Trophée Lagardère, Edberg advances to the final