by David Tanentsapf
translated into English by Markus Zacharski
Mats Wilander considers a comeback of Stefan Edberg in Davis Cup possible. Edberg is, to say the least, hesitant. "That requires very very very much", the legends says to Sportbladet.
The 43 year-old Stefan Edberg is one of Sweden's best tennis players of all times and won six Grand Slam titles, among others.
He keeps on playing tennis. He trains three times a week with Växjö TS and has played two tournaments on the senior tour with other former superstart last autumn where he won six matches and lost only one match.
"The form is still okay"
But when Sportbladet tells about Mats Wilander's idea, he is very clear with his opinion.
"This is very coaxing that he's telling this, but this isn't of current interest for my part. I had my years in Davis Cup and have to be satisfied with it. I keep myself in shape and the form is quite okay. But the senior tour is one thing and this is something different. It is a difference to play one set or five, the matches in Davis Cup are much too long. That doesn't work. No, that will never cross my mind", he says.
There are some injuries in the Davis Cup team, Thomas Johansson and Joachim "Pim-Pim" Johansson may miss matches against Isreal. Could you think about filling in because of that reason?
"That requires very very very much. There are others in Sweden who should do that better, like Björn Rehnquist and Mikael Ryderstedt."
Keeps the level
Anders Järryd who saw Stefan Edberg's success on the senior tour, says that the legend still is keeping the level but that he might need some matches in order to manage the Davis Cup.
"He is still very good, even if you can't compare it with how he was playing when was best. But he hasn't played enough matches to go out directly into the hot air. He needs to play some more matches before he goes into something like that.
- Book on history of Swedish tennis available in English
- Legends shine in Båstad
- Sweden, knock if you are there
- Book on glory days of Swedish tennis is out in Italy
- Swedish tennis in 1988: "Absolutely fantastic"
- Cascade Resort brings luxury to Lagos in 2010
- Happy birthday, Stefan!
- Michael, Stefan and that final...
- Stefan Edberg in Virtua Tennis 2009
- Swedes shut door on Davis Cup match against Israel
- Wilander hopes for Edberg comeback in Davis Cup
- Happy birthday, Stefan!
- La Gazzetta dello Sport pubblica Edberg vs Becker
- Purchase high resolution photos from Trophée Lagardère
- A gift from all the fans to Stefan