Two months after securing the Swede Stefan Edberg in the ninth edition of the Vale do Lobo Grand Champions Caixa Geral de Depósitos, Pedro Frazão announced today (Thursday) the presence of the Chilean Marcelo Rios in the only Portuguese tournament on the ATP Tour of Champions, that in 2009 will advance of a week in the calendar and will be held from 11th to 14th August in LoboTennis Valley Academy, in the Algarve.
Inspired, perhaps, by the book "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown, brought to the screen this year, the president of Premier Sports, the promoter company of Vale do Lobo Grand Champions Caixa Geral de Depósitos, joins the same time the player who more often won the sportsmanship award for the ATP - Edberg, nickname of the angel - with the tennis player who was offered more often the lemon prize, awarded at the Roland Garros to the tennis player who keeps worst relationship with the media - Rios for a long time, a real devil in the ATP Tour.
The Scandinavian is tall, blond, blue-eyed, right-handed, impeccable-looking and supporter of attacking style of serve and volley. The South American is short, dark, with exotic lineament, tattooed, able to challenge anyone in the game in and out of the court, a master of counter-attack, and, planted on the baseline, would come to the net only to shake hands with his opponent... or throw his tongue out.
There will be more appeal and more contrast than this since the duels between the cold Björn Borg and John McEnroe?
Furthermore, Edberg would add his name to a list of winners of the Portuguese tournament that shows, among the others, John McEnroe, Jim Courier, Sergi Bruguera and Michael Stich, champions, as he is, of the Grand Slam tournaments.
Rios, on his side, faces the challenge of becoming the first to succeed in Vale do Lobo for three times and in two consecutive years. "El Chino" won in 2006 and 2008, and is unbeaten, since in 2007 has not been invited by Peter Frazão to defend the title.
In addition to Rios, there is only one two-time champion of the tournament, but not in consecutive years, John McEnroe who won in 2002 and 2005.
With Edberg and Rios the show is assured and the 9th Vale do Lobo Grand Champions Caixa Geral de Depósitos turns into of the best editions ever, because at least they have something in common: both were great players and holders of number 1 of world ranking.
- Stefan Edberg presents a very special trophy...
- ATP World Tour Uncovered on Edberg and Wilander
- All is set for the Kings of Tennis
- Kings of Tennis, the order of play is out!
- Stefan Edberg: Andy Murray made the right decision
- Stefan wins first match in Algarve
- Vale do Lobo: Edberg and Rios lead their groups
- Edberg loses to Chang in L. A.
- Courier defeats Edberg in L. A. match
- L. A.: Edberg, Courier, Chang to play in Legends matches
- McEnroe and Edberg in Zurich
- Stefan Edberg to play tournament in Vale do Lobo
- Edberg to take part in exhibition event in Wimbledon
- Becker came, but without stamina
- Edberg beats Becker in Bremen