Defending champion Roger Federer broke Stefan Edberg's Australian Open record for match wins as he cruised into the fourth round on Friday. The world number two was untroubled as he got past one-time junior rival Xavier Malisse 6-3, 6-3, 6-1 in 1 hour 45 minutes on Rod Laver Arena.
In doing so the Swiss maestro eclipsed Swede Edberg's record for most Open Era wins at the Australian Open with 57 since his Melbourne debut in 2000. "It's very nice to take the record but Edberg still stays my idol," Federer told the crowd on Rod Laver Arena.
- Stefan Edberg & Tony Pickard Mr Class and his teacher
- "Federer should skip the claycourt season," says former coach Edberg
- "Federer is exceptional, but tennis needs a new name too"
- "I am a happy person"
- Federer criticizes young players: "I wish they volleyed more"
- Cascade hotel inaugurated
- STE...fans turns 10 years old and changes look
- Stefan Edberg at the Roland Garros and at the Queen's
- Stefan Edberg in Virtua Tennis 4
- Tennis great puts pupils through their paces
- Edberg and the Australian Open: An eternal love-affair
- Happy birthday, Stefan!
- Edberg hits with Federer in Stockholm
- Edberg and Mourinho Launch New Porsche Collection
- Edberg, king of the hearts, ex-king of the courts