Stefan Edberg at the inauguration of the Cascade Hotel in Portugal
from Algarve Resident.com
Local politicians, sporting stars, dignitaries and other guests came together on June 28 to mark the official inauguration of the five-star Cascade Hotel in Lagos.
Swiss hotelier Urs Wild, the director of the resort, was joined by the Swiss Ambassador Rudolf Schaller, Lagos Câmara President Júlio Barroso and tennis player Stefan Edberg, among others, to officially open the hotel at the resort on the Ponte da Piedade peninsula.
Urs Wild spoke of his pleasure at finally being able to realise a dream which first began 12 years ago and referred to the obstacles he had overcome to be able to turn this dream into a reality.
“I am confident that this new venture will be a success and will have a positive effect on the reputation and attractiveness of Lagos as a destination.”
Lagos Câmara president Júlio Barroso spoke of how important the development of the site is to the setting up of infrastructure in the area, which contributes to the attractiveness of Lagos as a destination.
He said: “This attractiveness depends heavily on tourism and private enterprises who have vision and the ability to deliver projects within the business sector while working with local economic and social institutions.”
Swiss Ambassador Rudolf Schaller added that he would be making the Cascade resort known to the new government, including the Minister for Tourism “as an example of excellence”.
Former England football manager Sven-Göran Eriksson, who currently holds the position of manager at Leicester City, is the director of the Cascade Performance Football Academy but was not present at the inauguration.
Stefan Edberg is the director of the Cascade Performance Tennis Academy and Tennis Club and at the inauguration he spoke about the unique nature of the hotel and resort and plans for Cascade to assert itself internationally as a destination for sports and other activities.
The Cascade Hotel has 86 rooms and was designed to reflect the architecture and historical importance of Lagos and the surrounding area.
- Stefan Edberg presents a very special trophy...
- On the ball in the Western Algarve
- Prestigious Vale do Lobo tennis tournament cancelled
- «I see myself in Federer»
- Cascade Resort brings luxury to Lagos in 2010
- STE...fans backs Qureshi for Sportsmanship Award
- Jimbo's year (and Edberg's...)
- Remembering Stefan Edberg’s Last Hurrah
- Send us your picture with Stefan!
- 10 years of STE...fans
- STE...fans turns 10 years old and changes look
- Stefan Edberg at the Roland Garros and at the Queen's
- Stefan Edberg in Virtua Tennis 4
- Tennis great puts pupils through their paces
- Federer breaks Edberg's record