Stefan Edberg last year at the Algarve in Portugal
from The Portugal News online
A shortage of sponsors, financial backers and cash has forced the organisers of the Vale do Lobo Grand Champions tennis tournament to announce the end of the event ten years since it was first staged.
In a statement sent to The Portugal News, organisers Premier Sports explained the essential reason for the demise of the Grand Champions was the result of “the decision of key sponsors to withdraw their financial backing at the 11th hour.”
The tournament, set for 9 to 12 August, is therefore cancelled, despite confirmations from a number of players that they would be jetting down to the Algarve in a tournament which has attracted the likes of John McEnroe, Greg Rusedski, Jeremy Bates, Thomas Muster, Stefan Edberg and last year’s winner Thomas Enqvist.
In a veiled criticism of the lack of funding supplied by tourism authorities, Premier Sports added: “The tournament’s tradition and enormous importance it has in promoting tourism on national and international levels leads us to continue holding the ambition that the great idols of world tennis will return to the courts at Vale do Lobo. If possible, even next year, and for this to occur, we hope we can rely on the long-awaited support of Turismo de Portugal.”
- Stefan Edberg presents a very special trophy...
- Stefan Edberg: Andy Murray made the right decision
- Edberg to play Royal Albert Hall Masters in London
- Edberg beats McEnroe in thrilling Stockholm final
- A Twitter chat with Stefan Edberg
- Stefan wins on AFAS Tennis Classics debut
- Edberg and McEnroe in Stockholm Champions event
- The end of Trophée Lagardère?
- Edberg-Ivanisevic in Stockholm
- Stefan Edberg to play in Stockholm next March
- Philippoussis Replaces Injured Edberg In Zurich
- Maestros del Tenis, third place for Edberg
- Stefan beaten in Santiago first match
- Schedule of "Maestros del Tenis"
- Team Russia wins the Hong Kong Tennis Classic