by Mauro Cappiello
UPDATE!!! Stefan won his first match at the AFAS Tennis Classics, beating Henri Leconte 6-3 7-5.
This week end Stefan Edberg is playing in Apeldoorn, The Netherlands in the 10th edition of the AFAS Tennis Classics. The exhibition tournament, organized by former doubles specialists Jacco Eltingh and Paul Haarhuis, features several stars from the tour of the 80s and 90s, such as Ivan Lendl, Andrei Medvedev, Henri Leconte and local favourite Richard Krajicek. Paul Haarhuis will also take part in the event.
Edberg's presence has been ensured since last May, but we have to say the organizers didn't do their best to promote the event. The official site and the Facebook page only have a Dutch version, so we came to know Edberg was there only at the last moment thanks to a Dutch fan, Gabriella Kraaiveld.
Stefan arrived yesterday night in Apeldoorn, a town some 80 kms south east of Amsterdam. He is with his wife Annette and with children Christopher and Emilie. His first match will be against Henri Leconte, on Friday 7th at 20.00 CET, so in about an hour. Tomorrow, the Swede will meet former rival Ivan Lendl at 14.30 CET.
You can follow the matches online at this link, but unfortunately you have to pay to get an account.
- The 1996 US Open draw controversy
- Grand Slam heroes become super-coaches
- When a number one...
- "My serve? It's probably up in the bar with a beer..."
- Inspired Edberg begins Stockholm title defence in style
- Rich Hong Kong can't find money for its annual exho
- Ivanisevic back to winning ways against Stefan
- Edberg-Ivanisevic, flashes from the past
- Stefan bows to local favourite Haarhuis
- Too much Stefan for Lendl
- Edberg and McEnroe in Stockholm Champions event
- The end of Trophée Lagardère?
- Edberg-Ivanisevic in Stockholm
- Stefan Edberg to play in Stockholm next March
- Prestigious Vale do Lobo tennis tournament cancelled